Back To Previous Page

1963 Fender Precision Bass

Very cool looking Fender P bass from 1963, all parts look to be original, just the body finish has been messed with. The hardware is in incredibly good shape, the tuners are still shiny and show very little patina considering they’re from ‘63...

The neck finish is original and shows honest play wear. Nice to see an original decal on the headstock too. The curved join Brazilian rosewood fingerboard is beautifully darkened with age and use and the original frets are in good order with only moderate wear.

The pickguard is a beautiful colour and has suffered no cracks or breaks...always nice to see.

The pickup and pots look to unmolested and original.

Fortunately the body looks as if the original contours and detail are still present and correct, not over sanded as they can be...

As can be the way with these things, the body finish proved to be totally impervious to the paint stripper I was using...so it was back to the tried and tested method of carefully sanding off the finish whilst ensuring I didn’t remove any more wood than I needed to...no belt sander here!

I had been concerned that the finish that had been applied might have really soaked deeply into the wood as some stains can, if that’s the case then sometimes the only option for a refin is a solid colour. Fortunately whatever this was had just coloured the surface and hadn’t stained the wood in a bad way. As the above pictures shows, the body ‘cleaned’ up very nicely.

I was pleased to see the original finish had been left in the neck pocket and also the pickup cavity...and even more pleasing to see the original factory pencil date still plainly visible...

At least whoever did the last refin had the good sense to leave the date well alone, these can all too easily be obliterated when guitars are refinished.

The neck date is SEP 63, body date here is 12/63, so a few months apart...not unusual...

Here we see the body (pic on the left) with the yellow stain that forms the basis of the sunburst applied, and on the right...the sunburst has been sprayed. Really pleased with the way it’s come out, can’t wait to get it back together!

Having left it a few months for the lacquer to cure...I added a little subtle distressing to make the bass look like the finish was from 1963 but well looked after...

Well, there she is...looking pretty much how things would have looked had the finish been left alone. The bass has come out really well, I’m very happy with the result...another rescued vintage instrument...!